Thursday, March 3, 2011

Edward's Eyes By Patricia MacLachlan


Reading Level: 3
Genre: Realistic
Awards: North Carolina Children's Book Award Master List, Bank Street Best Books of the Year

Jake is Edward's older brother.  Jake has been taking care of Edward since Edward was born just like Jake's sister Wren took care of him when he was born but the bond between Jake and Edward is something more special than anything their other siblings have.  Jake is constantly fascinated by Edward and his fearlessness and determined spirit. Jake knows that Edward doesn't see everything the way other people do and that is just a part of what makes Edward special and it is Edward's eyes that end up changing a stranger's life not to mention Jake's.

An activity that I would do with this book is that I would that I would attach the baseball aspect of this book with some math activities.  There are many things to calculate in baseball and could be a great way to create an interest in the math problems that I have to give out.  I could use the actual calculations that they do in baseball like RBIs but I could also use baseball statistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment