Sunday, February 6, 2011

Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote by Tanya Lee Stone


Reading Level: 1-4
Genre: Biography
Awards: ALA Notable Book, A 2009 Amelia Bloomer Award Book

The story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and her lifelong fight to get equal rights for women.  The book takes you all the way from Elizabeth as a young girl when she first noticed the unequal treatment of women to the Seneca Falls convention in 1848.

With this book I feel like I could do a lot with my students.  At the beginning of the book there is a poem so I could have my students write poems about an issue that they feel passionate about.  Also, I feel like this book would be a great read aloud that would provide a lot of discussions such as talking about what life would be like now a days if Elizabeth Cady Stanton and other feminists had not stood up for their rights.  Another thing that could go well with is book is it could introduce the topic of what rights citizens have, the structure of the government and why it is so important to be able to vote and how laws are changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment